Travelling With Pets/Animals

What papers will my pet need?


Under the EU pet movement system, all pet dogs, cats and ferrets moving between EU Member States must meet the same animal health rules. All pets travelling between the Republic of Ireland and the UK or Continental Europe and between the UK and Continental Europe must be micro chipped, vaccinated against rabies and accompanied by a pet passport.

Please note it is your responsibility to provide all necessary documents and make all arrangements including where necessary quarantine, to satisfy all legal requirements.


For more information, visit the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) at or by calling 0870 241 1710. 


You can find more information about the changes made to pet travel implemented on 29th December 2014 by clicking the following link - EU Pet Travel Scheme.


Please note: Latest government regulations for travelling with a pet from Britain to any EU country after 29 March 2019. 

The rules for pet travel from Britain to the EU will change when Britain leaves the EU. Pet owners should contact a vet at least 4 months before travelling to get the latest advice. 

Advice from DEFRA