1. Donner Rotterdam (Coolsingel 119) is one of the largest bookstores in the Netherlands with over 250,000 titles, including some unusual Rotterdam guidebooks and old history books on the city.
2. Housed in a converted bank, Marlies Dekkers (Witte de Withstraat 2) is famous for its sexy designer lingerie and beachwear.
3. Run by a passionate traveller, who gathers unusual bits & bobs from around the world, Voorlopig (Nieuwe Binnenweg 165) is the place for quirky items from painted plates to educational toys.
4. Recall Rotterdam's nautical heritage with a piece from Egge Maritiem (Schiedamsedijk (70-71), the Netherlands' largest nautical décor specialist shop. Housed in a vast warehouse, it sells everything from antique barometers, ship models and furniture to globes, maritime prints and traditional oil lamps, handmade by Den Haan in Rotterdam since 1922.
5. If you're after a new pair of glasses, visit Blick Brillen (Pannekoekstraat 41A), where the young owner, Mike, has handpicked a selection of unusual designer frames and will take a Polaroid photo of you to get your friends' opinions on your prospective purchase.