Brexit Information

Will I still be able to take my pet on holiday with me after Brexit?

Yes you can still bring your pet (dog, cat, ferret) on holidays with you to the EU provided they meet with the relevant requirements below. A maximum of 5 pets is allowed. Pet owners are advised to visit a vet 1 month in advance of travel to ensure their pet has the necessary certification and vaccines and are encouraged to read the latest government advice about travelling from Britain to Northern Ireland or the European Union with pets.


From 1 January 2021 onwards, the UK will have Part 2 listed status under the EU Pet Travel Scheme, meaning that people travelling from Britain with their pets and assistance dogs will need to follow new requirements in order to travel to the EU and Northern Ireland.

Before taking their dog, cat or ferret to the EU for the first time after 1 January 2021, pet owners must complete the following steps. The only new requirement for travel to the EU is the use of a certificate, rather than a pet passport:


  • Ensure their dog, cat or ferret is microchipped.
  • Ensure that their dog, cat or ferret is vaccinated against rabies – pets must be at least 12 weeks old before they can be vaccinated.
  • Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel
  • Dogs must be treated against tapeworm 24-120 hours before landing, if they are travelling to a tapeworm free country.
  • Visit their vet to get an animal health certificate (AHC) for their pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU.


Pets and assistance dogs will also need to enter the EU through a travellers’ point of entry (TPE).


All of these requirements will also apply for movements of pets and assistance dogs from Britain to Northern Ireland. However recognising that these changes will take time to adjust to, the UK Government is working with the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) on an enforcement approach that takes this challenge into account. This approach will be implemented in a way which supports pet owners and assistance dog users while the Government pursues a permanent solution.  


There will be no change to the current health preparations or documents for pets entering Britain from the EU or Northern Ireland from 1 January 2021.


Useful links:


UK government advice for travelling with pets to the EU


NL government advice for travelling with pets to Britain or the EU


Republic of Ireland government advice for travelling with pets to Britain