1. Amsterdam is almost identical in size to Manhattan, which was founded by the Dutch in the 17th century as New Amsterdam.
2. Amsterdam is home to over 750,000 bicycles, with 490,000 cyclists pedaling around the city each day.
3. As you stroll around Amsterdam's Centraal Station and Eastern Docklands, you're actually below sea level, on reclaimed land. As the French philosopher, René Descartes, said: "God created the world but the Dutch created Amsterdam."
4. "Holland" only applies to two western provinces along the North Sea, Noord and Zuid Holland (North and South Holland), encompassing Amsterdam, Den Haag and Rotterdam.
5. Every night, one third of the water in Amsterdam's 400 year-old canal system is replaced with fresh water from the Ijsselmeer by an intricate system of sluices and mechanical pumps.