Can I travel with dangerous goods?
It is not permitted to travel with Dangerous Goods, Firearms or Ammunition without our prior permission. Compliance with all applicable regulations, as prevailing at the time of booking and travel, and where appropriate presenting on request any relevant declarations or licences, need to be adhered to by the person responsible for the vehicle at all times.
Dangerous Goods for Transport by Sea, as regulated in the International Maritime Dangerous Goods (IMDG) Code includes substances or articles classified and identified in the following categories:
- Explosive substances or articles (Class 1)
- Gases (flammable, non-flammable, toxic – Class 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3)
- Flammable Liquids (Class 3)
- Flammable Solids (Class 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3)
- Oxidizing Substances and Organic Peroxides (Class 5.1 or 5.2)
- Toxic and Infectious Substances (Class 6.1 or 6.2)
- Radioactive material (Class 7)
- Corrosive Substances (Class 8)
- Miscellaneous Dangerous substances and articles (Class 9)
- Marine Pollutants (according to MARPOL regulations)
It is impractical to list specifically items that are classified as Dangerous Goods, as it is a non-exhaustive list - so the responsibility for checking if substances or articles being transported need to be declared remains with the customer at all times; Stena Line can accept no responsibility for delay or refusal to accept such items for shipment if legal regulations or conditions have not been met.
Firearms, sporting weapons and ammunition will only be carried in accordance with strict Company Policy, which take into consideration all the statutory and/or legislative regulations that are applicable to our Routes at the time of travel. (Please see additional guidance in our FAQs on these items).
All items indicated above must be declared to the Company by calling our contact centre on 0343 208 1801 (calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers 01 or 02) at least 24 hours prior to the date and time of departure and again at the check-in booth / desk on arrival at the port. You may also be required to travel on a freight ticket depending on the items carried.
As legislation can change we reserve the right to amend our terms and conditions of carriage accordingly at short notice.